Monday, March 5, 2012

Weiter, weiter...

Most people that have known me long enough know that I'm no fan of the French language. In fact, as a high schooler just discovering German, I often mocked this bizarre language. It sounded so silly and irritating to me as I compared it to the strong and certain syllables that I was growing accustomed to in the German language. I mean, how can one possibly understand a population of people who all sound like they all have sinus infections?

Okay, that's quite a cruel exaggeration. But still - if you had told me then that in a few years I'd be sitting in a dorm room in Germany practicing French out loud and attempting to commit it to memory, I would have laughed. "Haha, French? Nah. Never."

And yet, here I am, doing just that. Hmm.

On Wednesday morning I embark on my first real adventure during my stay here. This girl is going to Paris! I am nervous and ecstatic and numb with disbelief all at once. Of course the primary reason for this excursion is to see what is undoubtedly the best live performance available in the world's music department (not that I'm biased or anything): Rammstein! You needn't have known me long to know that I am very much obsessed with this band, and have been for a long time. I saw them last May in Chicago, but as soon as I found out they were touring again, how could I resist? I bought the tickets for this show last summer, seemingly ages ago now, and at the time the only thing I cared about was seeing the show. I just chose the nearest location with available tickets, and it wound up being France. But now, after planning a five day stay in this country (3 days in Paris, 2 in Lille), I am really excited to experience what I can of this new culture (and yes, language!)

I am lucky to have a trustworthy friend coming along, and it doesn't hurt that he's tall and can be intimidating when he wants, haha. James is also here in my program and is a student from Eau Claire. We are staying this coming weekend in Lille with a friend of his (a native to Minnesota, like James). Naturally, being the Americans we are, James and I have approximately one-and-three-fourths languages between us that we can speak, and none of that mess happens to be French. But, armed with a lesson and notes from a very patient German friend, and borrowed phrase book, I feel alright. At least, I am able to tell people I can't speak French. And ask if they speak English. And I can count a little bit. And a few other choice phrases I hopefully won't need to utilize! ;) But, Paris is the kind of place where people are bound to speak some English anyways, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. City of Lights, here I come!

And so, I better get back to my practicing and last-minute planning.  I'll certainly have another update ready here in a week when I'm back in Marburg. :) Au revoir, Allemagne! For now, anyways.

2 comments:

  1. Ja!! Viel Spaß :)

    Diese Post hat mir sehr gefreut...doch habe ich auch laut gelacht! Französisch...blöd. Aber ich glaube in dir!

    Tschüßi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that if you don't speak French, if you at least attempt another European language (such as German) they won't judge you as harshly for being American and will switch into English on their own out of pity. Also, that people in Paris hate Americans, but everyone else in France loves them. But I've never been to France, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete