Monday, January 23, 2012

Vielleicht Englisch...?

Unbelievably, it's nearly the end of my first month in Germany. I wasn't expecting time to slip by so fast; five months suddenly seems to be a flash in the pan. Guess I'll have to come back sometime. :)

All of the other Wisconsin students have been busy making travel plans practically every weekend, from other cities in Germany to distant countries. However, I'm not quite so anxious to travel everywhere. I certainly want to... I'm not sure what's holding me back. I don't feel like spending two days somewhere completely new is worthwhile, especially if it costs quite a lot to get there. Ah well, all will come together.

Despite the fact that I'm often surrounded by Germans and spend hours speaking it daily, I would say I spoke German more confidently when I stepped off the plane the first day than I do now. I know it's simply because I've realized how little I actually know about the language, but it's discouraging. Already I've encountered shopkeepers and waitstaff who hear my accent when I ask them to repeat something they've said, and they either ask if I'd prefer to speak in English, or simply start speaking it. It could be worse, but it makes me feel completely clueless. Obviously if I don't practice, I won't get better, but I am more likely to speak English whenever I can... a little counter-intuitive, isn't it?

In any case, Marburg is lovely. I'm getting used the city and the bus schedule, so getting lost is finally an unlikely circumstance! I think the biggest problem I have with this town is the abundance of good food and coffee. There seem to be at two bakeries on every street, and a bar is never far off. Recently my diet consists of bread, pasta, sometimes veggies, wine, and beer. It'll be a wonder if I leave this country without weighing twice as much, heh.

Other than that, I realize how hard it's going to be to return to America and be underage again. Every weekend we go out to bars. Many weeknights are spent in our rooms drinking wine and just hanging out. This is unfortunate, as I have become a very big fan of hot chocolate or coffee with Bailey's. And straight up Bailey's. Oh man, do I love Bailey's.

Well, that should be all for now! :) Here are some pictures from our recent day trip to Frankfurt. Too bad the weather wasn't more pleasant, it would have been more enjoyable.



                                                         Inside the Kaufzentrum, a huge mall.
                                              "Occupy Frankfurt" march, we think.
                                                                         No idea.



                                                                    Occupy Frankfurt!

3 comments:

  1. I remember that feeling of being intimidated by the language. You just have to work through it. It will get better, but slowly. I don't think I felt entirely comfortably until the last week in Germany! Just don't let their judgement bother you. Keep talking, and don't be distracted by making everything perfect, as long as you're understood. And you can always comfort yourself with the fact that your English is better than theirs =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelsie!!! Its Ally Krogan!! I cant wait to see you sometime and hear about your great adventures! Hope your having fun!! Bye I Love You!

    ReplyDelete